Sunday, March 1, 2009

Methods

My initial plan of action was to read, read, read, and take notes make connections and hypotheses of the future of social saturation. Through all that reading, however, I believe that I will find myself applying social saturation from my own account and the books examples, and not that of a socially saturated society. My note taking can only do so much and create so little.
I've tried to wrap my head around possible ways to actually be more involved in the field of social saturation. I knew that asking people about their roles in social saturation would result with many question marks. Interviews would good if I was only fortunate enough to interview an expert on the subject. I find myself trying to figure out how I could document social saturation, but more importantly who? The answer was simple yet not so obvious.
People with depression.
Those with depression struggle with their significance in the world more than any other group of people. Medically it has been explained as a chemical imbalance in the brain, but when have chemical reactions ever been completely balanced?
Consequently, I have added a psychological approach to my research. I feel like this is a good choice because in the end, it's all about creating a new link or a new perspective on something.
In order to approach this new idea, I decided that I should follow depression blogs and/or chat rooms. With the few I have skimmed, I can't help but go through and pinpoint examples social saturation and how they note it's "importance" in their blogs.
If I directly quote blogs or chat rooms, I would then need to contact the person(s) responsible for the site to inform them of my observation.
As I read through blogs, chat rooms, and/or discussion boards, I will categorize different themes within social saturation.
It would only be necessary to ask for permission to observe from the account owner if I'm directly quoting and/or referencing a site within my research.
It still a question whether it would be ethical for me to participate in chat rooms or discussion boards.

1 comment:

  1. That's an interesting angle, but I think we're trying to identify a cultural trend, not something that manifests only in a selected population. For ideas on how you might research this, check out the methods used by Jean Twenge in Generation Me.

    ReplyDelete